Friday, February 3, 2012

Recreating the Past

This was my first and only (so far) photo shoot. In my work with the North Ogden Historical Museum, I came across a story that intrigued me, and I wanted to retell it in film. Surprisingly, the museum staff agreed to help me and arranged for about 20 antique fruit crates and a large quantity of vintage fruit baskets for the production.
This one was an "accident" - I didn't really compose it, but it turned out nicely.
The Utah State Railroad Museum loaned the use of freight trucks and their 1951-built Wilson Car Lines refrigerator cars, and one Saturday morning in December we began filming. My brother and a friend of mine, Candice, both agreed to provide the theater skills.
A view out of the open door. The lighting was perfect that day.
For an all-volunteer effort, it turned out great. Now, over a year later, I still have not completed the actual post-production editing, because even with all that good footage I don't have any way to tie it together. That, and just plain laziness on my part.
The labels were reconstructed from half of an original that was in the collection of the NOHM. A good carload of North Ogden fruit bound for the east.
Special thanks should go to Holly Fuller, the North Ogden Historical Museum, the Utah State Railroad Museum, Steve Jones, David Wagstaff, and, of course, Candice and my brother. Without them these would never have happened.
This picture won second place in the "people" category of the 2011 Hostlers Model Railroad Festival photography contest. those crates are from the Ben Lomond Packing Company.
If I can get the cooperation of the museum board, I might be able to arrange for another photo shoot in the future. Other museums do it, so I figure why not?

Enjoy,

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment