Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Digital painting

Nelson has been pushing me for art other than photography. So, here's something that I threw together a while ago.

Besides photography, history and steam locomotive restoration, I also draw. Of course, my skills are limited as I have never taken a single formal art class. Everything I know, I taught myself or learned from books. Thus, I have quite a bit of room for improvement.

This drawing, which I call "Desert Pinnacles", was sketched out in about ten minutes. I then scanned it, keyed out the white on Photoshop, and began to color it. This was my first try at "real" painting; my past Photoshop works were simple coloring projects with a whole lot of filters to enhance the effect. This one was done on a single layer (minus the foreground drawing, and the sky for ease of painting the clouds) and only two brushes, with no filters, blend modes, or other "crutches" that I have relied on in the past.

If you want to check out some more of my non-photography works, please take a look at my DeviantArt page: Silverwolves Forever. Be warned, though: While I don't have anything inappropriate, I draw some pretty strange things, or so some of my friends tell me...

Enjoy,

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment