Thursday, February 16, 2012

Olympic Heritage

The 2002 Winter Olympics were an exciting part of Utah's history. So much went on during that event, but one aspect that is little known was the Olympic Train.

Yes, call me a nerd, but this is another train post. In 2002, Union Pacific Railroad painted two locomotives - numbers 2001 and 2002 - in a striking purple paint scheme just for the Olympics. Surprisingly, ten years later, both of them are still in the Olympic paint, although a little dirty.

For the 10th anniversary, and to support Salt Lake City's celebration of the ten years that have elapsed, UP brought the 2001 and 2002 together again in Utah. The 2002 went on display at the Salt Lake City Frontrunner station, while the 2001 arrived unceremoniously at the Utah State Railroad Museum last week.
I thought this was interesting - somebody wrote the year on the platform in blue chalk. If the 2002 were there it would be a remarkable coincidence and fitting for a ten year anniversary.

I stopped by and took some pictures. Inspired by Nelson's unique style of close-ups, I decided to try some of my own. I could have done this on any locomotive and I'm kicking myself for not trying these shots sooner on a more handy locomotive (like any one of the hundreds of yellow UP locomotives I see almost every day).
Front coupler. Federal Law requires that couplers NEVER get painted, so all kinds of funky rust patterns occur.

The 2001 stayed for only five days, and was pulled out by a switching crew as quietly as they dropped it off. In fact, the museum staff didn't even know it was there until I told them, and didn't find out when it was gone until I did the same.
A close-up of one of the "ditch lights"
Enjoy,

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment