Sunday, February 26, 2012

Macro!

Everyone in my dorm thinks I'm crazy. If not crazy then at least a little strange. I literally went room to room asking people if they had any insects, spiders, or invertebrates in general (bugs) so I could photograph them. Last night I finally got my first decent shots. It was just a little box elder bug, nothing too out of the ordinary, but it looks so much cooler at 40X magnification. Because of poor lighting, We used a flashlight to spotlight this little fellow while he crawled around the basement floor. I was down there on hand and knees following him around trying to get a decent shot. Here's two of my favorites.


^ that one was a composite of two shots, while this one is a composite of six. Take note that my camera has a depth of field of only a millimeter while at this zoom.



I've never had a good close up look at an insect's eye before, its crazy just how red these are. Notice the secondary set of eyes behind the first. Those eyes are "simple eyes" in that they are not compound, they mostly notice motion. This might be easier to see if you click on the image to enlarge it.

I also got an interesting shot of the moon the other night, its fairly low quality, but an interesting concept. I'll improve the execution and show a better image later.

Notice the detail in the dark part of the moon, which is usually not visible at all. This is a composite of two shots, one that is a 5 second long exposure, and another that was relatively short.


If your interested, I have a video of an ant we found, the video is rather poor, with no editing completed, but I think it's worth taking a peek at.


I stabilized the video, so that's why the image is moving all over the place.

By the way, Adobe sent me my serial numbers today! CS5 for $40!

2 comments:

  1. i am so happy that you really got that great of a deal on photoshop!! your photographs are amazing! i love the shot of the moon. i took some, haven't even loaded them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know when you get those pictures up! I'm always amazed at your portrait photography, Taking images of inanimate objects is one thing, but finding that perfect moment with living breathing (and constantly moving) people is usually beyond me.
    Thanks for checking out the blog!

    ReplyDelete