Tuesday, May 28, 2013

So it's late, and I'm waiting for a call to go pick up my little brother from a friends house. Makes for the perfect time for spelling and grammatical errors.


First off, I just want to tell you how amazed I am that my point and shoot was able to capture the images you are about to see. I've yet to purchase a DSLR, and the portability and image quality my little Lumix LX7 is making me hesitate even more.

I recently got back from a trip to Arches National Park, while there I primarily focused on night photography. I wanted to get images of what you see after everyone goes home. Lets just say that Nature puts on her best show at night.

The first night I managed to rope a couple of people into staying at Delicate Arch longer than they had planned. I told them how to activate the shutter on my camera and I promptly ran to the arch to do some light painting.

Here is my favorite out of that group:
And yes, I did capture a meteor on this shot :)


As you can see, clouds were beginning to roll in, and I decided to head back early (10pm) After hiking down to the parking lot, it appeared that there would be some decent breaks in the clouds, so off to a new location.


The first spot that came to mind was Double Arch. As I pulled up I noticed a faint glow coming from the arch, someone was already timelapsing! Good news: Awesome light was already on the arch. Bad news: I wasn't able to try any lightpainting of my own.

Here are a couple from the location. One looking out through the arches, and one with a mini-startrail from the other side.


The Milky-Way was visable! That alone made my night!


After wanting to try one last thing for the night, I bid the fellow photographer farewell and headed on my way.

Balanced rock!
While the lightpainting wasn't the greatest quality, I loved the look of the Milky-Way behind this precariously settled formation.

Even though this was one of the worst paintings of the group, it also happened to have several meteors in the same frame! I figure it was worth a share:



I highly regret the fact that I fell asleep in that parking lot and didn't take advantage of the amazing shots that could have happened at sunrise.



Day 2. Essentially a retake of Delicate Arch, but with the goal of capturing the Milk-Way as well.


So, without further ado, my favorite shot from the entire trip:

Please enjoy the funky white balance, I feel like it was more true to what I saw, mostly due to sleep deprivation. I was running on six hours sleep powering the last 72.


So there you have it, my trip to Arches. I look forward to seeing some daytime shots provided by Josh!

No comments:

Post a Comment