Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The beauty of creation

I don't know what it is about steampunk. It's an attractive genre (at least for me). But what makes it so interesting? True, space-traveling victorians is a cool idea, and Analytical engines make great concepts. But why? Why be interested?

I've done a bit of research. I always do when I find that I'm interested in something; I guess it's just an attempt at understanding myself, in understanding why I have these inclinations. One explanation for the growth of the steampunk theme is that it involves hands-on creation.

That's such a true statement, too. Steampunk involves nothing but creativity; from conceptual art, to clothing design to everything in between, the theme includes a little bit of everything, and you can learn so much through making something steampunk.
I made these notebooks on a whim. The right one is purely victorian, based on a real notebook I found on display at a local museum. After hand-drawing the cover, I decided to modify the art a bit for the second one on the left, to give it a more functional, mechanical look for the "steampunk" theme. Both are usable, of course, which is part of the reason why steampunk interests me: everything is functional, yet classy at the same time.

Take, for example, the pair of sleeve guards I made a week ago. I had little experience in sewing, but I wanted some 1860s-era sleeve guards for when I volunteer at Golden Spike National Historic Site, where everything has to be era-appropriate. I didn't take any pictures, but this demonstrates my point: I learned a lot about sewing, and cloth dynamics, and the frustration of knotting thread. But at the same time, I learned a skill that can be used in real life.

Of course, steampunk can be fun too. Take, for example, this item (which I actually completed today): simple, and entirely fictional. Cavorite, if you don't know, is a (imaginary) natural material that has the uncanny ability to fall up.
The watermarks direct you to my deviantart page, where I have some other steampunk items and photographs that aren't here. Or just follow this link for my 3-D works: silverwolvesforever Gallery

Regards,

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment